Saturday, May 25, 2013

Balancing a Life, a Blog, and a 3 Day Weekend

Yes, I still DO write an environmental education blog (with a twist of edtech on the side).  It's been awhile, so I know some of you have been wondering about that!

No,I'm not on a hiatus or sabbatical... just in a current chasm: I have fallen, and I can't get up!  That's what you get at the end of a school year. (Less than 2 wks away, but who's counting?)

This past week, my earliest bedtime was the wrong side of midnight, and some nights well past that.  Time and responsibilities and soccer practice and cooking dinner and doing the laundry and paying the bills and being Single Mom while Dad was in Canada for work....no wonder I've been up late!  Then after the kids go to bed, there's still the grading of papers, the planning of lessons, and the attempt (even at the end of the year) to be a teacher who still creates things which will actively engage her school kids.


The bigger problem is that I haven't figured out a way to turn off that side of me that wants to be the "human sponge"... That part that wants to be soaking in information from everywhere about everything!  So in the still of the night when all are snuggled in bed, I find myself strolling in Cyberspace for all sorts if things to satisfy my perpetual mental quests.

It's been said before: there are not enough hours in the day!!!

Yet, at some point there's a breaking point of exhaustion. A point where the best solution is to sleep--to sleep in the same way we eat popcorn at the movies:  voraciously! Or you find yourself deep in the need to go off and wonder the woods for a getaway!

There's more to this brain space, but I have a 3 day weekend ahead, so it'll have to wait. No doubt, it'll crop up here in my blogosphere in the next few weeks. 

So here during this Memorial Day weekend, in addition to taking some time to think about the real reasons we should be celebrating this weekend, check yourself.  That's my plan. At the crossroads of "Work" and "Relax," which way will you find yourself not only pointing, but going?  

Maybe I'll see you there!!


Image from http://www.stanford.edu/dept/CTL/cgi-bin/academicskillscoaching/scrap-time/work-relax/

No comments :

Post a Comment