Saturday, July 2, 2011

True Confessions & Whirling Dervishes: #GETABC

True Confessions:
So far this summer I feel like a "whirling dervish." 
This summer, I'm the girl released into the wild with too many choices at hand....aka: I'm the teacher released into the freedom of summer with too many things I want (and need) to do and pursue.

So much so, I'm spinning....like a kid newly-released into the mecca called "Toys 'R Us."  Or, in my case, "Tech 'R Us."  I want, I want, I want....Combine the Internet with my techy-absorbed nature, PLUS the wealth that's called "cyberspace"...ei yie yie!!

I want to learn, absorb, soak in, do so much, regarding...
  • Acquiring all the "technology in education" I can (I have been sooo inspired by all the "tech in ed" tweeters I've been following about #iste11 from http://www.iste.org/,
  • Digging into the latest in the Green World,
  • Walking, best shoes, and all other necessary things for my Susan G. Komen 3 Day walk this Sept. 23 (http://www.the3day.org/site/TR/2011/WashingtonDCEvent2011?px=5774986&pg=personal&fr_id=1623)
  • Having quality time w/my own "dynamic duo,"
  • Reading good books from the stockpile of all I've set aside,
  • Spending time catching up with friends via phone, email, and in person,
  • Visiting with family both near and far,
  • Spending time outdoors
  • Catching up w/my email...
Here in-lies the swirling dervish!!

So what's a girl to do, other than get exasperated & exhausted around the edges of her own, personally-created overwhelm?  She needs to grasp a handle on reality as there aren't enough hours in the day! 

I think in a lot of ways, this is how many people feel about the environmental movement.  Looking at the breadth and depth of it all, it seems like an endless ocean.  A tiny little rowboat can get lost tossed by the waves of unsureness and feelings of insignificance.  In an ocean of nurdles, plastic trash, and minutia!!

The over-riding message in the last 3 years of my environmental pursuits is that little steps can accomplish a great deal. If we all move forward with our baby steps, big changes are on the horizon by working together.  Today's a collaborative society.  Environmentalism is a collaborate solution.

Maybe I need to take heed of that philosophy.  1/2 hour or more a day of educational training a day...add in bite-sized bitz: where will it all get me come this September?  In focusing on the little items, maybe it won't feel so overwhelming to want to conquer the world.

(Can we say Adult Onset ADHD?)

But wait!!  Major "Ah Ha" moment....Inspiration meets Confession!

Why not go the route of  "One-Stop Shopping?"  Perhaps if I try to combine my goals, then!! perhaps I will arrive at my final destination!!?!  I want to gleen more regarding both environmental education & tech education.  What if (crazy me!) I go the combination route, and research the realm of "tech ed" under the layer of the "eco-ed?"  Pursuit meets purpose!!

So enter analysis:  What am I the most "into?"  Green. Education. Technology:  "G.E.T." 

Let me go and get "G.E.T!"  Add in, it strikes me almost in an "alphabet soup sort of way"...so perhaps I go and get" "GET" ABC-style!  Yes!   A series of 26 eco-tech-ed!!

So stay tuned...I've got a ton of goods ,in fact 26 "GET" goods, on the horizon!!  At the end of the summer, we'll all be the wiser!!  Along the way, be on the lookout for this thread by way of twitter thru #GETABC!! 

No comments :

Post a Comment